We recognize that families come in all shapes and sizes. In our dictionary, family includes, but is not limited to:
- An unmarried heterosexual couple.
- A same-sex couple, whether unmarried or married in anther state or country.
- A couple including straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered persons.
- A “polyamorous” group.
- Grandparents raising grandchildren.
- Siblings who live together and raise their children together.
- The traditional married heterosexual couple.
We celebrate our clients’ diversity and work to meet their unconventional needs. Our clients include heterosexuals, grandparents, and gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) persons. Our goal is to help establish the legal rights for our clients that all family members want, expect and deserve. In many instances this is challenging because Kansas laws are not evolving as quickly as those in other states. We recognize that in many instances laws designed to protect traditional married couples actually penalize those who by choice, or by law, are not married. Nevertheless, we strive to find creative methods to use existing laws to protect our clients and to enforce their rights.
The law concerning non-traditional families and same-sex couples’ rights is in a constant state of flux. We know there is a great deal at stake for each of our clients. We understand the needs of nontraditional and GLBT families and work with them to ensure they have the rights they want and deserve.
Some of the areas we can help include
- New and on-going relationships
- Having, adopting, or raising children
- Terminating a relationship or divorce
- Complications created by second parent adoptions or entering a marriage not recognized in Kansas
If you have questions about any of these topics, or need advice on some other nontraditional family law issue, please contact us to set up a consultation appointment. We can help.