Today’s family lawyer faces exciting challenges. The nature of the family is changing and the law is changing to meet the evolving needs of new family structures. The Law Office of David J. Brown, LC, strives to meet the legal needs of families at every stage of their development And, when we talk about families, we use a broad definition. We include married and unmarried couples; single parents; multi-generational family units; polyamorous families, and, families with gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (GLBT) members.
To meet family needs, we focus on several areas that are common to all:
The legal issues related to formation of families including:
- Common law marriage
- Nontraditional family needs
- The creation of premarital or cohabitation agreements
See also Nontraditional Families and Premarital or Cohabitation Agreements.
The legal issues related to having and raising children:
- Addressing questions of adoption
- Rights of single parents
- Artificial insemination
- Sperm and egg donor contracts
- Grandparent visitation and other concerns raised by our clients
See also Adoptions and Divorce and Custody.
The need to protect family assets:
- Through creation of trusts
- Using family limited partnerships
- Conservators and guardians
- Establishing small businesses
- Other asset protection techniques
See also Wills and Trusts, Small Business Law, and Guardianships and Conservatorships.
The difficulties of the dissolution of families including:
- Spousal maintenance (alimony)
- Child custody
- Child support
- Parenting plans
See also Divorce and Custody.
The need to plan for catastrophic events with:
- Powers of attorney
- Living wills
- Special needs trusts for disabled family members
See also Estate Planning.
The Law Office of David J. Brown, LC, has experience in all these areas and works to protect the rights and preserve the assets of all our clients. We understand the difficulties involved in forming families, keeping them together, and then, when necessary, dissolving them. We work with social workers, counselors, accountants and sometimes other lawyers to ensure that our client’s needs are met.